Chef Debi: Healthy fruit doubles as a centerpiece
I’m not sure where I first saw this recipe many years ago, but I have made it as a centerpiece ever since. The original recipe called for a Styrofoam center, but if you prefer a centerpiece that is all edible, you can use a hollowed out green apple as the “tree stand” and a straight zucchini as the “trunk.” Enjoy a merry Christmas with this healthy edible centerpiece.
Fruit Christmas Tree With Yogurt Dip
For the tree:
Styrofoam cone or green apple and zucchini (see headnote)
Cookie cutters of various shapes. I used a gingerbread man and star shapes.
Assorted fruits. I used green and black grapes, strawberries, kiwis, dried cranberries, a honeydew melon and star fruit.
Cilantro to garnish
For the dip:
Three containers of your favorite yogurt
1 cup Cool Whip
Slice the melon. Using the cookie cutters, cut out various shapes from the slices.
Attach toothpicks to the Styrofoam cone or zucchini. Attach a piece of fruit to each toothpick. As the tree starts to take form, pay attention to which fruit combinations look better and how densely packed you want your tree to be. Continue building the tree as dense as you want. Top with a piece of star fruit
Use cilantro leaves as grass garnish around the base.
For the dip: Mix together the yogurt and Cool Whip. Serve the dip with your completed fruit tree.
• Chef Debi Stuckwisch is the owner of Meals Like Mom’s Personal Chef service in McHenry County. She can be reached at 847-778-9351 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.mealslikemom.com.
More Food & Drink News
- Cedar planks dress up glazed brie with fruit
- Homemade crackers can be ready in no time flat
- Experts pick wines of summer
- Recipe of the Week: Marinated Flank Steak
- Healthy quesadilla’s secret: full-fat cheese