'Iron Man 3' coins $175.3M in No. 2 US debut
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Iron Man is a bigger golden boy than ever with a $175.3 million opening weekend at the domestic box office for the superhero's latest sequel.
According to studio estimates Sunday, "Iron Man 3" had the second-biggest debut ever, behind the $207.4 million start last year for "The Avengers," which teamed him with other Marvel Comics heroes.
Opening a week earlier overseas, "Iron Man 3" has hauled in $504.8 million internationally, giving the blockbuster a worldwide total of $680.1 million.
The film shot past the $312 million international total for "Iron Man 2" in its entire theatrical run.
"Iron Man 3" far outpaced the franchise's first two movies. "Iron Man" launched the series with a $98.6 million domestic debut in 2008, while 2010's "Iron Man 2" opened with $128.1 million.
More Movies News
- Lowbrow 'Mr. Peabody' lacks charm
- Review: Fiennes shows comic chops in Anderson film
- Movie review: ‘300: Rise of an Empire’ is as fun as the original
- ‘12 Years a Slave’ wins best picture at Oscars
- Cuaron's Oscar nod leaves Mexico soul searching