Chef Debi: Noodle soup hits the spot
On these cold winter days, a good bowl of soup can really hit the spot.
Chicken noodle soup is a healthy recipe that includes chicken, carrots, celery, onion and egg noodles. This soup recipe uses organic chicken broth and has ingredients that offer a lot of health benefits.
I serve the soup along side of a Turkey Italian Sausage Sandwich for a great, satisfying dinner.
Healthy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
1 whole chicken, 4-5 pounds
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 quarts chicken broth, preferably organic and low sodium
4 large, organic carrots, roughly chopped
4 stalks organic celery, roughly chopped
1 cup fresh green beans cut into bite-size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 12-ounce bag of frozen noodles (I use Reames Homestyle Egg Noodles)
2 cups frozen sweet peas, thawed
Start by roasting a whole chicken, rubbed completely with canola oil, for 1 hour, 45 minutes at 400 degrees F. Let the chicken cool enough so you can handle it. Then peel off all of the skin, discard it, and cut the meat into bite-size pieces.
In a large stock pot, combine the chicken bones with 2 quarts of good-quality chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bones from the broth with a slotted spoon. Discard them.
Now, to that pot of stock, add carrots, celery, green beans, onion, bay leaves, fresh thyme and parsley, salt and black pepper. Let this simmer for 30 minutes, until the veggies are soft. Add all of the chicken meat to the pot and stir to combine. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, then add the bag of frozen noodles. Simmer 20 minutes until noodles are cooked. Remove the bay leaves, parsley and thyme.
Stir in peas and serve.
More Lifestyle News
- Recipe of the Week: 24 Karat Chicken
- Chef Debi: Roast leg of lamb completes Easter
- Versatile, fresh mini cakes fit for dessert
- Transforming bread dough into lemony sticky buns
- Policy problems: Some plans refuse to cover medical costs related to suicide
- 'All about the drive': Irish dancers learn from international champ
- Crystal Lake counselor creates life coaching toolkit
- We stuff Turkey Day birds, so why not Easter hams?
- Giving Easter side dishes the respect they deserve
- Baby bummers: Health law provides no guarantee of birthing center or midwife access